Olympic Casino Latvia is a socially responsible gambling operator which duly informs people about gambling-related risks, as well as participating in projects and implementing them in the field of public support.
The company has set the following priorities for implementation in public support programmes:
- support for the less protected members of society;
- public education on the prevention of gambling addiction;
- environmental clean-ups;
- support for the promotion of a healthy lifestyle.
The OCL is a member of the Latvian Association of Gaming Business (LAGB). The association implements projects in the field of public support on behalf of its members.
The activity of Olympic Casino Latvia in the field of public support is focused on those events which would generally facilitate the promotion of public health matters and life quality issues by reducing the risk of the impact of its activities and implementing support measures.
Public Support Project
Olympic Casino Latvia (OCL) objectives - sustainable development and responsible business - are based on the company's core values and stakeholder involvement.
One of the components of public support policy is the involvement of local community life. Being aware of the impact of their activities and evaluating the essential problems of the local community from the perspectives of business and stakeholders, OCL has identified priority support areas for the support of the local community: environmental improvement, promotion of healthy lifestyle and prevention of addictions.
In order to realize this, the OCL annually invites to submit projects aimed at promoting healthy lifestyle and safe and orderly environment. Projects can be submitted in certain municipalities where the company operates.
In 2016 OCL announces project submission for support in the following 12 municipalities:
Basic conditions for projects applying for support:
- supported projects are aimed at environmental improvement and enhancement, and promotion of healthy lifestyle in cities and districts where the company operates;
- project implementer must be an association or foundation;
- planned support for one project is maximum EUR 1500 (in some cases it may be decided on the increase of the grant);
- given support may also be co-financing.
One project is selected in each city or municipality and it will receive the OCL grant.
Participants in the final evaluation are Chairman of the board of OCL, Manager of the Marketing and Service Development, Quality Manager and OCL staff, consulting with representatives of the particular local municipality as far as possible.
In the decision-making process the eligibility for OCL objectives and principles of support policy for local community are evaluated, as well as the positive impact on local communities is evaluated.
To submit a project, the project description – filled out application form – must be sent to e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Documents should contain a maximum of 5 pages. Pictures can be added as attachments (format: .jpeg, png, bmp).
Results will be published on the company's website. Winners will be informed via telephone.
In cases if no projects are submitted in accordance with the requirements, application deadline may be extended in certain municipalities.
Telephone for additional information: 67892975.
Application deadline: June 10th, 2016 by sending an e-mail with the completed application form to email@example.com
Public Support Projects implemented in 2015
In the beginning of 2015 OCL announced project submission for support in a number of municipalities where the company operates: Cesis, Sigulda, Valmiera, Saldus, Jelgava, Jurmala, Ventspils, Liepaja, Daugavpils, Rezekne and Ogre.
After evaluating submitted projects in accordance with the basic criteria, OCL granted support and realized the following projects in 2015:
- In Saldus municipality: breed rabbits viewing ground “Lutriņu trušmīļi” was installed, supporting the work of association “Trušmīļu skola” in Lutriņi. The objective of association is to educate children on rabbit breeding and care, as well as to create an educational attraction for all children, adolescents and adults in Saldus district.
- In Ogre municipality: a public ground for leisure activities – outdoor gym was installed in Meņģele School territory for promotion and maintenance of healthy lifestyle.
- In Cēsis: a public ground for leisure activities – outdoor gym was installed in Pastariņš primary School territory for promotion and maintenance of healthy lifestyle.
- In Sigulda: a public ground for leisure activities – outdoor gym was installed in Laurenči primary School territory for promotion and maintenance of healthy lifestyle.
- In Jūrmala: a public ground for sport and leisure activities was improved by expanding the existing volleyball field, installing another volleyball field, making territory improvement in Sloka (square between streets Year 1905, Laidzes and Skrundas) for promotion and maintenance of healthy lifestyle.
- In Liepāja: Children center courtyard, on Bāriņu street 11, was improved and preparation works for children playground was carried out, thus giving the opportunity to implement a social program for children from disadvantaged families: courtyard was paved, top soil was imported and greenery was landscaped.
Public Support Pilot Project implemented in 2014:
- In November 2014 the first OCL Public Support Project was implemented in Saldus, by funding the installation of playground and basketball hoop installation on Kalnu Street 22.
Olympic Casino Latvia is aware of the impact of gambling on society and the related risks, including gambling addiction.
In order to reduce the possibility of this risk arising, Olympic Casino Latvia carries out preventative action by placing warning signs and information in its casinos that make it clear to customers that gambling may lead to a gambling addiction, and the company also distributes information booklets that contain a self-control test, along with information covering where to turn to for help if it becomes necessary. Such information is also available to customers on the company’s website.
Olympic Casino Latvia supports public education in terms of the various addictions and also supports events that can prevent such addictions. Olympic Casino Latvia is a member of the Latvian Association of Gaming Business which implements various public support projects on behalf of the members of the association, including those that are related to the gambling impact risk. The association and Olympic Casino Latvia provides support to the society, “Be Free!” (“Esi brīvs!”), which organizes educational events for youths and their parents on addiction-related problems and their prevention.
The aim of the society is to address youths, their parents, their teachers, and society in general by popularising the opinion that being free from any addictions is stylish and much more interesting than being dependent on apparently pleasant actions, substances and processes.
- In 2015, „Be Free!” organized 189 seminars on addiction prevention in educational institutions. Psychologists of the association have conducted 288 individual consultations on the theme of addiction in videoconferencing mode via Skype. Association has organized and managed also other events related to addiction prevention.
- In 2014 "Be Free!" organized educational seminars on addiction prevention in 54 schools of Latvia, published articles about this issue.
In order to implement priority objectives set in public support policy, Olympic Casino Latvia cooperate with organizations and support their activities.
- Since 2010, Olympic Casino Latvia has been cooperating with Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija (RMHC) by placing donation boxes in their automatic gaming casinos and other casinos. The donations that are collected are spent on the Caremobile, which is a twelve metre-long modern vehicle that has been kitted out to provide diagnostic and preventive medical services. The Caremobile physicians from the Children’s Clinical University Hospital provide free health care for children in the regions of Latvia where the receipt of specialised paediatric medical care is hampered.
- In 2014 Olympic Casino Latvia made donations to association “Be Free!” for addiction prevention activities and to Latvian Basketball Association.
- In 2015 Olympic Casino Latvia made donations to: Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvia, association “Be Free!”, Jurmala children center “Sprīdītis”, Latvian Basketball League and supported Latvian national men’s basketball team.
- From 2005 till 2014, Olympic Casino Latvia was cooperating with Martin’s Foundation by donating financial resources to help with the implementation of the foundation’s initiatives.
- Since 2005, Olympic Casino Latvia has been cooperating with Martin’s Foundation by donating financial resources to help with the implementation of the foundation’s initiatives. Martin’s Foundation was established in 1991 to provide the necessary support and assistance to families that had children who were suffering from leukaemia (a cancer of the blood), or other hematological and oncological diseases, as well as children who had suffered sight, hearing and physical development disorders. The main activity fields of Martin’s Foundation include the provision of psychological assistance in its psychological support centre, along with support for the Onco-Hematology Division of the Children’s Clinical University Hospital Martin’s Foundation (Division 20), support to those families that have children who suffer from diseases, and attracting financial resources to ensure that various necessary operations, medical treatment and rehabilitation can be carried out.